Total crock? Death via slow cooker like on ‘This Is Us’ remains unlikely


Did we just learn some safety tips from ‘This Is Us?’

This Is Us - Season 2

If 14 million Americans called in sick following Sunday night’s Super Bowl, surely millions more stayed home to grieve and mourn the loss of beloved TV dad Jack Peason.

Jack, the alcoholic with a heart of gold, dies in the episode of  that followed Sunday’s big game on NBC. The cause: a smoke-induced heart attack following a house fire sparked by a slow cooker.

Google searches for “Crock Pot death” skyrocketed after an episode teased the fire last month, prompting Crock-Pot to collaborate with the actor who plays Jack, Milo Ventimiglia, to proclaim “#CrockPotIsInnocent.”

Thinking of ditching your slow cooker to avoid a fiery, melodramatic death? Don’t, say the product testers at Just two people suffered injuries from slow cookers fires between 2012 and 2015, the most recent federal data available, and none died.

Ranges claim the most kitchen damage by far, causing 63,784 fires and ending 199 lives, according the data cited from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

The countertop appliances that most often caught flame were microwaves (3,084 fires), toaster devices (1,416 fires) and coffee brewers (256 fires), the magazine found. Slow cookers came in with 103 fires.

advises unplugging small appliances between uses and carefully checking for wear and damage on used or second-hand machines — like the pot with the finicky switch given to the Pearson family on . When in doubt, throw it out.

And please, unlike Jack Pearson, keep batteries in your smoke detector.

See the full report at  for more stats and safety tips.

You may also like

Hot News